You may be shaking your head...why is Leah writing about helping middle school parents talk to their children about college, isn't that a bit too early? The answer is NO! And no, I don't mean have your 8th grader begin drafting college essays now; however, I do want to share some words of advice for helping your child begin to prepare for the college search and application process.
1) Encourage your child to pursue activities they enjoy
2) Pursue courses that are challenging given your child’s strengths
3) Visit colleges and take notes
4) Research colleges (online, alums, guidebooks, college admissions school visits, college fairs, etc.)
5) Begin saving NOW! if you haven’t already done so, talk to your financial advisor about college savings plan options
6) Let your child take the lead in the process
If you follow these simple suggestions, your child will be well prepared when the time comes to not only fill out applications, but find the best fit.